Winter 2021 Auditions & FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Due to COVID-19, will choirs be different during Winter 2021?
Yes, choirs will be limited in size (due to social distancing requirements), and will begin the semester remotely. All ensembles will transition to in-person rehearsing on January 18, with masks and other safety protocols, assuming favorable conditions on campus. Additionally, all ensembles will be auditioned, including the two sections of University Chorale.
1a. How many singers will be allowed to enroll in each ensemble, and how many open seats do you expect in Winter 2021?
- University Singers – 44 (0 open seats)
- Concert Choir – 44 (5 open seats)
- Women’s Chorus – 88 (split into two groups of 44 that will meet on alternating days when we begin “in-person” instruction) (9 open seats)
- Men’s Chorus – 88 (split into two groups of 44 that will meet on alternating days—on Zoom/in the Madsen Recital Hall—once we begin “in-person” instruction) (7 open seats)
- University Chorale (day section) – 44 (11 open seats)
- University Chorale (evening section) – 34 (9 open seats)
1b. What happens if BYU determines it is not safe to transition to in-person rehearsing on January 18?
Choirs will continue via online instruction until it is deemed safe to meet in person, or through the remainder of the semester if conditions do no improve.
2. How do I know whether or not I need to fill out the google form and/or sign up for an online audition?
This is a GREAT question! EVERY SINGLE PERSON WANTING TO SING IN A CHOIR IN WINTER 2021 MUST HAVE FILLED OUT THE GOOGLE SURVEY (available soon–keep checking)!
- Additionally, in a change from past years, every singer—regardless of previous membership in an auditioned ensemble—must go through the entire audition process.
- If you have any questions about how to sign up for an audition/what requirements you need to meet, please email the choral clerks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. What is the process for an “online” audition?
When you complete the Google survey, you will be given a link to access the virtual audition (see question 3a for submission deadlines). Once you click on the link, you’ll answer a few more questions and then a series of video prompts will tell you exactly what to do. These activities will include:
- The singing of a specific hymn (outlined in heading 4 below)
- You will also be asked to do a few exercises to assess your sight-reading skills, tonal memory, and vocal range.
A practice audition will also be available so you can become familiar with the process. This audition will not be viewed by anyone else. Check back here in mid-December for a link to the practice audition.
3a. Is there a deadline by which my audition video must be turned in?
YES! You may submit your video audition starting as early as January 6th, but you must have your video submitted by Monday, January 11 at 11:55pm in order to be considered.
(If you are just reading this and missed your submission deadline, please email the choral clerks immediately at: email@example.com ).
3b. Do I need special equipment to record my video?
No, simply record yourself in a quiet space with a computer (a cell phone will not work) and submit your video.
3c. Help! I can’t submit my audition video because of technical limitations with my computer and/or internet access.
For those without the ability to record/submit an audition video, we will have a limited number of socially-distanced, face-to-face slots available on Monday, January 11. During those times, our conducting graduate students will assist you. Please email the choral clerks immediately if you need assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3d. Will there be callback auditions for Winter 2021?
There will be no callback auditions for the choirs in Winter 2021
3e. Posting of final rosters
After the audition process has finished, a final list of rosters for all choirs will be emailed to all auditionees, and posted physically in the choral hallway (HFAC, E Wing, Third Floor). We anticipate the list will be posted/emailed on the evening of January 14.
3f. How do I register for choir?
Upon your successful audition, you will receive a “permission to add” code from your director. You will then be able to add the course through myBYU. Add the class to your schedule as soon as possible, as the deadline to add/drop is January 19. Please note that this is a different process from previous semesters. Remember, if you wish to sing in any choir, including University Chorale, you must receive a “permission to add” code in order to enroll.
4. What hymn do I need to prepare for the audition?
All singers are asked to prepare the melody of one verse of a preselected hymn to sing a cappella, depending upon the singer’s voice part (see below). Please choose the voice part that feels the most comfortable for you.
Click the links above for your starting pitches.
5. Can I audition for more than one choir?
Yes. All singers are initially considered for every choir. Your audition video will be viewed by all the conductors so they can place you in the ensemble that best suits your voice. Final placements are determined by considering singer interest, audition performance, and schedule availability.
6. Can I audition for more than one voice part?
Yes. Each singer is thoroughly tested to determine her/his most appropriate voice part. The decision is made by considering the singer’s vocal range, color, clarity, etc.
7. Do I have to be a music major to get into a choir?
We have hundreds of singers each year who major in something other than music. All students are encouraged and welcome to audition regardless of experience or perceived ability level.
8. I want to reserve time in my schedule for the choirs. When do they meet?
All choral ensembles are 1 credit courses. Times and course numbers are below:
- BYU Singers (MUS 315R): MWF 1:00 – 1:50 PM, TTH 12:00 – 1:20 PM
- Concert Choir (MUS 314R): Monday through Wednesday 2:00 – 2:50 PM, Thursday 1:30 – 2:50 PM
- Women’s Chorus (313R): Monday through Wednesday 3:00 – 3:50 PM, Friday 2:00 – 3:30 PM
- Men’s Chorus (312R): Monday through Wednesday 4:00 – 4:50 PM, Thursday 3:30 – 4:50 PM
- University Chorale (311R, day section): MWF 12:00 – 12:50 PM
- University Chorale (311R, evening section): TTH 4:00 – 5:30 PM
Specific questions are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.