Fall 2021 Auditions & FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which ensembles can I participate in?
- University Singers
- Concert Choir
- Women’s Chorus
- Men’s Chorus
- University Chorale (no audition required)
2. How do I know whether or not I need to fill out the google form and/or sign up for an audition?
This is a GREAT question! EVERY SINGLE PERSON WANTING TO SING IN A CHOIR IN FALL 2021 MUST HAVE FILLED OUT THE GOOGLE SURVEY (SURVEY LINK COMING BY AUGUST 1)!
- You will have a choice between an “in-person” or “online” audition this Fall. To sign up, use the survey link above.
- If you have any questions about how to sign up for an audition/what requirements you need to meet, please email the choral clerks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. What is the process for an audition?
When you complete the Google survey, you will be given a link to sign up for an audition. Your audition will include:
- The singing of a specific hymn (outlined in heading 4 below)
- A few exercises to assess your sight-reading skills, tonal memory, and vocal range.
3a. Is there a deadline by which my audition video must be turned in?
YES! You must have your video submitted by Monday, August 30 at 6:00pm MDT in order to be considered.
3b. What do I do if I end up having technical problems while trying to submit an online audition?
Please email the choral clerks immediately if you need assistance: email@example.com.
3d. Will there be callback auditions for Fall 2021?
Yes, callbacks will be held from August 31 – September 1. More specific information about callbacks will be provided by August 1.
3e. Posting of final rosters
After the audition process has finished, a final list of rosters for all choirs will be emailed to all auditionees, and posted physically in the choral hallway (HFAC, E Wing, Third Floor). We anticipate the list will be posted/emailed by the morning of August 2.
3f. How do I register for choir?
Upon your successful audition, you will receive a “permission to add” code from your director. You will then be able to add the course through myBYU. Add the class to your schedule as soon as possible, as the deadline to add/drop is September 7.
4. What hymn do I need to prepare for the audition?
All singers are asked to prepare the melody of one verse of a preselected hymn to sing a cappella, depending upon the singer’s voice part (see below). Please choose the voice part that feels the most comfortable for you. If you are unfamiliar with these LDS hymns, please email our clerks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the links above for your starting pitches.
5. Can I audition for more than one choir?
Yes. All singers are initially considered for every choir. Your audition video will be viewed by all the conductors so they can place you in the ensemble that best suits your voice. Final placements are determined by considering singer interest, audition performance, and schedule availability.
6. Can I audition for more than one voice part?
Yes. Each singer is thoroughly tested to determine her/his most appropriate voice part. The decision is made by considering the singer’s vocal range, color, clarity, etc.
7. Do I have to be a music major to get into a choir?
We have hundreds of singers each year who major in something other than music. All students are encouraged and welcome to audition regardless of experience or perceived ability level.
8. I want to reserve time in my schedule for the choirs. When do they meet?
All choral ensembles are 1 credit courses. Times and course numbers are below:
- BYU Singers (MUSIC 315R): MWF 1:00 – 1:50 PM, TTH 12:00 – 1:20 PM
- Concert Choir (MUSIC 314R): Monday through Wednesday 2:00 – 2:50 PM, Thursday 1:30 – 2:50 PM
- Women’s Chorus (MUSIC 313R): Monday through Wednesday 3:00 – 3:50 PM, Friday 2:00 – 3:30 PM
- Men’s Chorus (MUSIC 312R): Monday through Wednesday 4:00 – 4:50 PM, Thursday 3:30 – 4:50 PM
- University Chorale (MUSIC 311R, day section): MWF 12:00 – 12:50 PM
- University Chorale (MUSIC 311R, evening section): TTH 4:00 – 5:30 PM
Specific questions are welcome and can be directed to email@example.com.